At an elevation of 4,000 feet in the vibrant rain forest, our accommodations are a refreshing change from the arid Hawaiian coastal areas. Explore the awesome Kilauea Volcano, walk through magnificent lava tubes, and hike numerous rainforest trails in the majestic Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Feast your eyes on exotic endemic birds that live in our area. Shop locally for gifts and groceries in the Village and cook your own meals in your kitchen, or dine out in one of the fine Volcano Village restaurants. Relax, rejuvenate, and enjoy nature from the comfort of your very own "home away from home."
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has some of the best sight seeing on Hawaii's Big Island. The park encompasses diverse environments that range from sea level to the summit of the earth's most massive volcano, Mauna Loa at 13,677 feet.
Clothing and Equipment
To enjoy your National Park and its neighboring village, we suggest you wear light layered clothing, a jacket, and good walking shoes. Have available rain gear, hat water, sunscreen, and a flashlight.
Elevation and Temperature:
Elevation about 4000’ (1232 m). Daily average temperature high 72 degrees F. - low 52 degrees F. Seasonal change 4-8 degrees F. The Volcano summit area is usually 15 degrees F. cooler than sea level.
Village rainfall varies between 100” and 125” yearly. Park Headquarters and the Volcano Golf & Country Club area have less rainfall. Rain stored in catchment tanks is primary source of domestic water. Anuhea is the name of the Volcano’s upland forest fragrance.
Hawaiian Cultural, Volcano and park Information
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- USGS Hawaii Volcano Observatory Activity Updates
- Volcano Art Center (exhibits and events in the National Park)
- Hawaii Coral Reef Network
- University of Hawaii Press: Hawaiian cultural and nature books
- Polynesian Voyaging Society (voyagers and their sailing canoes)
- State Parks on the Island of Hawaii.
- East Hawaii Cultural Center Gallery and Performing Arts Center.
- Volcano Garden Arts Gallery and Performing Arts Center.
- Hawaii Tribune Herald Hilo daily newspaper.
- West Hawaii Today Kailua-Kona daily newspaper.
Mauna Kea Summit Tours
- Adventure in Hawaii 8 hour tour and includes dinner, transportation to the summit, hooded parkas and warm gloves and hot beverages.
- Mauna Kea Observatory Tours Tour comes with boxed dinner, hot tea, hot chocolate, bottled water, cookies, telescope stargazing, jackets and gloves.
- Mauna Kea tours Tour comes with arctic style hooded parkas and gloves, meals and telescopes stargazing.
Area and Big Island Links:
- Akamai Tours Adventure Tours & Travel
- Love Big Island A great resource for planning your vacation on the big island.
- Alternative Hawaii Alternative activities on the Big Island.
- Bike Volcano offering guided bike tours of the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Caren Loebel-Fried Artist - Illustrator - Author
- Coffee Times Kona Coffee and other products.
- Hawaii golf - Hawaii golf course guide
- Hawaiian Island Music source for CD's, videos, books and live music.
- Hawaii Forest and Trail: - Rain and Dry Forest Birding.
- Hula Inn Maui bed and breakfast, near Maui's best beaches and destinations.
- Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden, exotic tropical plants.
- Ira Ono His studio is his theater.
- Kona Kava Farm Kava Kava from the Big Island.
- KONAWEB An Online Magazine about The Big Island of Hawaii.
- Lava Ocean Adventures Tours to view active lava entering the sea.
- Native Guide Hawaii Ecotours and Adventures.
- Silver Oaks Ranch Kona Hawaii - Kona vacation rental
- Volcano Winery Unique- tropical wines (ideal as gifts)
- Andrea's Volcano Gardens of Pure Aloha